Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Extra Credit Obama/McCain Write-Up (From WAAYYY back in the day, when McCain still thought he had a chance!)

McCain/Obama Reps Grace Resource Center
I requested off of work, anticipated the big day, and forced my boyfriend to come with me to see Obama and McCain representatives speak in the Resource Center as part of SCI’s Yappa Week. I was mildly disappointed to see the representatives were not much older than myself, for some reason I seem to count out my own generation, but it was nothing that wasn’t taken forgotten at the sight of the buttons and posters I realized I was going to get to take home.
Right off the bat I noticed the stark contrast between the two men. One, dressed up, matching his button with his pants, typed notes, solid leather folder, laid back dress, calm, excited, happy; the other, dressed for business, hand-scribbled notes on a single sheet of paper, no button, nervous, and as we would later find, not too knowledgeable about his material. These two people, hardly associated with the actual Obama and McCain campaigns, stood in our little resource center, perfectly depicting the characteristics of each of the campaigns in their entirety.
This debate, if that’s what it was, was so telling of what we have seen over the last several months. Obama’s campaign has shown a historical organization. The organization, enthusiasm, and calm collectiveness of his campaign is something that will be the envy of politicians for decades to come. McCain’s, on the other hand, and probably a big factor in his losing the presidency, was quite opposite from Obama’s. The McCain campaign, like this young representative, often seemed nervous, unsure, wobbly, if you will.
We constantly see the two campaigns under the media’s microscope, and I often wonder if the depiction of the steady versus the erratic is fair. I realized in this back-and-forth how accurate that depiction really was. Granted these two people were volunteering to help speak at SCI without actually being campaign spokespeople, but to see the characteristics of the larger campaigns translate over to the small scale was something incredible.

No comments: